The U.S. Embassy in Vietnam’s Regional English Language Office (RELO Vietnam) invites Vietnamese educational institutions and educators to submit proposals for the Academic Year 2021-2022 Small Grants Competition. These grants aim to improve the quality of English Language Teaching (ELT) in communities throughout the country.
Proposals must be in English. Project budgets can’t exceed US$2,500. The deadline for submitting an application is Tuesday, August 31, 2021 at 23:59.
All projects eligible for the Regional English Language Office (RELO) Small Grants Competition must have the primary objective of improving the quality or efficacy of English language teaching in Vietnam. Primarily, the project should focus on the professional development of teachers or the improvement of instructional methods and materials. The projects cannot solely teach students English. If the project involves teaching students, then it must aim to pilot a new method or new materials.
Vietnamese teachers, educational institutions and non-governmental organizations are welcome to apply.
TOPICS OF ADVANCEMENT
In the Academic Year 2021-2022, we would like to encourage projects that support the following themes:
- English language teacher training (conducting activity-based, practical workshops on particular ELT topics within a community / district).
- Mentoring novice teachers and helping them to develop professionally.
- Creating Communities of Practice to network, share best practices and/or sustain professional development.
- Producing or piloting ELT materials addressing a particular specific need.
- Piloting a particular teaching method or approach with a target group of students to achieve specific objectives.
SELECTION CRITERIA AND REVIEW PROCESS
A panel of Embassy personnel will review and select finalists. Priority will be given to projects that have:
- Relevance to the themes noted above
- The greatest geographic and/or demographic reach
- A high level of cost-sharing (any cost paid for by the individual or local organization instead of being requested from the Embassy, e.g.: venue rental, voluntary contribution of time, travel, accommodation, coordination, etc.)
- Implementation in underserved locations / underserved populations
Grant funds can be used to:
- Initiate a public or community service program
- Launch a pilot program at a non-governmental organization or academic institution
- Organize training programs or workshops for English language teachers
- Develop and publish curricula, textbooks, or related reference or educational materials in the field of ELT
- Conduct networking events among English language teachers
- Conduct community development projects judged by the grants selection committee to be in the interest of the above goals
- Award only a reasonable amount of honorarium to trainers
Grant funds CANNOT be used to:
- Cover excessive costs related to meals, drinks (no alcohol is allowed), gifts, etc.
- Support individual research projects
- Pay for tuition for students at private language schools
- Buy computers, books or materials for a school
- Pay salaries or administrative overhead
- Support for-profit entities
- Pay for international travel outside of Vietnam
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants are invited to download the proposal and budget forms at: https://bit.ly/relograntforms. Completed forms should be submitted online at: https://bit.ly/relogrants no later than Tuesday, August 31, 2021 at 23:59. RELO Vietnam will not accept proposals submitted via fax, the postal system, or delivery companies.
Should you have any questions, please contact: Mr. Duong Le, Vietnam Country Director at email: email@example.com or mobile phone: 090-401-6939.